Wednesday, July 13, 2011

week 5

july 12 & 13

today’s harvest

1 bunch greens – chard, collards or kale

1 head lettuce

1 bunch cippolini onions

1 bunch scallions

1 bunch basil

zukes and summer squash


News flash, it’s July, it’s really hot and things are pretty nutty on the farm. I am scrambling, running late, no time to write a newsletter and let you all know about the comings and goings and wonderful accomplishments at Black Kettle Farm.

The theme of the week seems to be “sharing is caring”. I just jumped off the tractor after helping my friend Jordan of Two Toad Farm load a piece of my equipment onto his trailer to borrow for a bit because I am done using it for the season. I bumped into my friend Maggie of Willow Pond Farm the other day and a groundhog had eaten all of her fall crops like kale, broccoli and Brussels sprouts in the greenhouse. Such a jerk! I had just planted all of mine so when I see her at market this Saturday I will bring her my extras. Instead of composting them, I will share them with my friend. This morning I got word that neighboring farmer Luke of Groundwork Farm was on the look out for irrigation gear. I had some spare so he will swing up in a bit to use what is only taking up space in my barn.

That is just how we do it. So many farmers, neighbors, mentors and angels have supported Black Kettle Farm along the way, that it brings me such pleasure to share the love and contribute to the rotation of resources and support that exists in this community. It is truly inspiring to be amongst a crew of folks that are only looking to help. From my neighbor Rodney who helped me move a pig that went AWOL to my buddy Greg who not only lets me use some of his land, but also diligently waters the whole onion crop planted there. Without him there would be no cippolinis this week.

We live in abundance at every level. There is always enough materials, resources, and knowledge to go around. Thanks to all those that have helped the Kettle, what’s mine is yours.

One love.


USE ANY GREEN IN THIS RECIPE – KALE, COLLARDS or CHARD.

Roasted Garbanzo Beans and Garlic with Swiss Chard

Bon Appétit | January 2008

Garbanzo Beans:

* 2 15.5-ounce cans garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained (about 3 cups)

* 10 garlic cloves, peeled

* 2 large shallots

* 3 small bay leaves, preferably fresh

* 1 teaspoon fennel seeds

* 1 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil

Chard:

* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

* 6 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed

* 3 small bay leaves, preferably fresh

* 2 shallots, sliced

* 2 bunches Swiss chard, center stems cut out, leaves coarsely torn

* 2 cups low-salt chicken broth

Garbanzo beans:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Combine first 5 ingredients in 8x8x2-inch glass baking dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Pour oil over; cover dish with foil. Roast until garlic is tender, about 45 minutes. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly, cover, and chill.

Chard:

Heat oil in large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic, bay leaves, and shallots. Cover; cook until shallots are tender, about 2 minutes. Uncover; add half of chard. Toss until chard wilts and volume is reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add remaining chard. Toss until chard wilts, about 2 minutes. Add broth. Cover and cook until chard is tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Season chard with salt and pepper. Transfer chard mixture to large sieve set over bowl and drain. DO AHEAD: Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.

Drain garbanzos and reserve oil; discard bay leaves. Combine garbanzos and chard in large skillet. Add 2 tablespoons oil reserved from garbanzos. Toss over medium heat until warmed through, moistening with more oil by tablespoonfuls if needed, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

No need for a recipe – chop your squash and zukes and onions, a little salt and pepper, find a kebob stick and toss ‘em on the grill. Easy and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment